Saturday, July 4, 2015

Day 24 A Social Experience

Back in the routine of early departure with a coffee stop along the way. Sigh. I have to admit that chewing down on a Cliff bar works. Some days better than others, I might add. Good thing today was an on day. Let me back up a little.
Last night was clear which means one thing. Cold in the dawning. About 46 degrees. I also know it's going to warm up pretty quickly. Same layers as the day before minus the tights. Good  thing, too. Just out of town we take a left turn and stare at a very steep hill. "oh s#*t) I mumble not so quietly to myself. Before I even start up the slope I stop to peel off my long sleeve shell as I KNOW it'll just turn into a sauna. By the time I got to the top, I realized my only mistake was not taking off more. Soon the vest shell was finding its way into my front pannier.
Good thing. Aw jeez. Look! Another steep a@& climb... Mumble coherently about just being happy to be here and pray the day won't be full of such gifts. My prayers were answered. After a short while we took a turn and the terrain, scenery and general conditions improved dramatically. The sun was beginning to peer over the wooded horizon and the road was smooth and fast. Blissful it was.
About 25 miles in we finally found a coffee stop. We sat inside this local jewel where Fred and I enjoyed a cup and a half of joe. Gay was bored.
Our next real destination was Traverse City. A nice lakeside resort city. We found a pretty cool bike shop. Fred needed another spare tube. I needed a new cycling cap. No surprise there. I collect hats.
When we rolled up to the shop, a guy came over to us with a touring set up and greeted this like long-lost brothers. He had been on the road for 30 days and had not met another cyclist going in his same direction. Steve from San Diego, was riding in support of Wounded Warriors, especially EOD. Undoubtedly we will cross paths with him again, and again.
When we went to depart, Fred  couldn't find his sunglasses. We looked all over the place. He eventually found them… in his shirt.
The final stretch into our destination of East Port was, well, long and hilly. The scenery was just fine, but when you start to wear out, scenery plays a lesser role that the destination. Then, less than 5 miles out, we hear the awful noise of pfft, shhh, shh.. Another flat. Fred again. Poor sod. Stop and change it. 15 minutes. Not his fault. No big deal. Now follow this scenario carefully.
Fred took the tube out and laid it out near him. Gay, being helpful, picked it up and carefully rolled it up to pack away. Fred, not seeing what had just happened, picked up the tube Gay had just rolled up thinking it was the new one and proceeded to put it back on the wheel! Needless to say that it didn't work. I needed the comic relief and another few minutes to lay down.
We arrived at the campground. It was full. No worries. They don't turn away cycling tourists! They wanted to charge us $22 a tent! About that time, Steve arrived. Our group swelled to 4. Fred the negotiator stepped in. The employee talked to his boss. Meanwhile, Luke the Cycling  psychiatrist, arrived. Our group is now 5! The attendant said the new rate would be $44 for all of us! Way to go Fred!!
Our little community had grown. We chatted about this and that. The long day had taken its toll on us all. We fixed dinner and cleaned up. Good showers but it was over 200 yards across the field. At least we weren't turned away. East Port was a good place to stay.
Total mileage on the route today = 82 miles
Total so far= 1,417 miles
Tomorrow is July 4th
Should be interesting.
Cheers
KPW

No comments:

Post a Comment