Monday, August 1, 2016

Epilogue Part 1

I managed to get up and have the motel's continental breakfast with Bill & Sandy. It felt a bit odd to see them ride away. We'd been traveling together for just over 6 weeks since Anacortes. Excellent traveling companions and friends. I'm certain the rest of their journey will go well. Godspeed.
I picked up a one way rental car from Hertz in Brainerd. Actually they came to the inn and picked me up. I was able to load my bike and gear in the car and was taken to the Hertz location where I filled out the paperwork and was off to head home.
Driving all the way back to southeastern VA probably sounds torturous to most people. Mostly I agree. What I liked best about the drive is the time to think and reflect. I know once I return home, I'll happily return to my life. Bicycle touring  is a much different world as you have read in this blog. But why is is so appealing? Good question. Here are some of my thoughts.

I love being on the open road. It's both inspiring and intimidating to look ahead and see what's to come. That runs the gambit of realms from seeing the grueling climbs, harrowing descents, long lonely, desolate stretches, exciting destinations and breathtaking scenery. Each aspect is an essential ingredient of the journey. For some it's all about arriving. While that's ultimately "The Goal", to me it's what happens along the way that makes the destination so darn sweet.
I think about the times when I question my decisions. Decision to go on this little adventure. How to manage the logistics (getting bike, gear and self there). How to physically prepare myself. My gear. Prepare my family for my absence. (They were awesome in their support!) And of course to manage the road ahead. To my credit, I chose only the best of traveling companions! Seriously. While there may have been a few hiccups along the way, knowing how people operate is most helpful in wrapping your head around personal day to day routines. The most endearing quality I appreciated of them was patience.
The daily routine: wake up. For the umpteenth time. Some nights are longer than others. Finally get up. Get dressed for riding. Pack. Throw your gear out of the tent. Find the restroom. Come back. Pack up the tent. Load the bike. Oh yeah. Find something to eat and drink before beginning. Head out. This process from getting up to departure took 45 minutes. Do this each and every day we camp. When we stayed indoors, the routine varied only slightly. It was more challenging to get out of bed.

Day after day. The only thing that varied was the route and weather. Typically we made decisions the day before about our "destination of the day". At some point before we departed for the day, we would look at places to stop along the way for food/drink and rest. We'd need to anticipate availability of food and shelter at our destination and if we needed to buy and bring stuff with us or get it there. Little towns weren't all that dependable. They might close early or not open on Wednesdays or some such nonsense. Always have emergency rations with you. Just in case... As for the weather, I'm sure I annoy my companions with my weather watching. I like to know what to expect. (I've avoided the teeth of more than one storm!) It helped me prepare. Mentally and physically. When to repack certain things to ensure they stay dry. Make other stuff more accessible. Etc. Will it be cold or hot? Headwind, crosswind or tailwind? Knowing helps me steel myself for the challenges ahead and delight in the anticipated joys. Some of my compatriots don't want to know. That's part of the excitement for them, I understand that.

Fun? Define fun. Enjoyable. Amusing. Pleasurable. I suppose I could look at it that way. Heck, why else would I ever undertake such an experience?
The allure.  I've done enough extended touring (more than a week) to grasp the appeal of loaded bicycle touring across the USA. The mysterious unknowns of what lies ahead. Who will you meet? What the accommodations will be like? Unusual sights? Physical challenges? How I will interact with all this draws me forward.
Day by day: The simplicity of day to day activities is, well, simply beautiful. Following a route and routine carries a certain amount of comfort. And the effort. Oh the effort. That never goes away. Everything requires a mental and physical push to move onward. The grind of getting on your heavy, loaded up bike and churning out miles each and every day can certainly wear on your psyche. Not to mention my sore body parts. But I couldn't let harsh thoughts overcome me. Even when the going gets difficult, I had to find the silver cloud. That's what challenge is all about to me.
Heading towards a specific destination helps me find the motivation to drive on. So while I'm back mentioning the destination, it's the steps along the way that keep the destination in focus. I might compare it to painting a picture. I'm no artist but it's clear that a lot goes into painting a picture. But when it's done, and not until it's done can one fully appreciate its message. So as I have reached the end of my journey across the USA I can really begin to put it all in perspective. The people I've met and traveled with. The communities I've visited. Sights seen. Emotional highs and lows. And so
much more.
I'm a Christian man who had a lot of time on his hands to ponder life. I spoke with God on a number of occasions. I prayed of course. Mostly I talked to God expressing my great appreciatioon for all that I have and all that I have been given, that allows me to experience such a life changing journey. At one point I felt pretty ill. I asked Him for strength and improved health so I could continue & complete my journey across country. Now of course I don't know if I was granted grace by His hearing my plea, but I'd like to think so. I am and will be eternally grateful.
It had been one week now since I was on the last leg of my travels. Do I miss it? Sure. I miss traveling with my wife and friends. Seeing new places and meeting new people. I can still ride my bike any time. My bride is still my riding partner and the mother of my great kids, although they aren't really kids anymore. My friends are still my friends and when we get to hang out together, our bond will be even more meaningful through our shared experiences.  Not only will I have my memories to cherish but I'll have my photos and this blog to keep my memories straight! At least from my point of view.😎
This epilogue has largely been a rambling piece in an attempt to tie up a few loose thoughts. I plan to have at least one more entry to share some even more random thoughts and experiences and maybe feelings about this little bike ride.
This leg completes my bike ride across the USA via the Northern Tier.
Total mileage 4,303 miles
73 days of riding
Yes. It was fun.
Thanks for reading.
Cheers!🍺🚴🏻😎
Kim







No comments:

Post a Comment