Thursday, August 3, 2017

Epilogue part 2 Dedicated to Anne Davis

This is a 2 part  post. 1 at the end of my journey in 2016, 2 a little over a year later.

Part 1. It's been 18 days since I finished cycling the Northern Tier. It was one month ago that a tragic accident occurred on another bike tour in another part of the country. Let me explain.
Anne Davis was a rock climbing student of mine at W&M. A natural climber. Tall athletic build. Happy go lucky kind of girl. (Meant to be kind words) Rarely came to class on time. Gave it her all when she finally arrived.
Last spring she was in my Rock Climbing II class. It was a small class that bonded well. At the end of the trip, we gathered for a group photo with the cliff in the background. It's a classic photo. After the final field trip experience, the class had a hard copy made and everyone signed it adding a few jaunty words. They mailed it to my home after graduation. Needless to say I was touched. I have that photo on my home desk. That was in mid May, 2016.
I'm not sure exactly when I learned about Anne's intention to ride a bike across the country, but it didn't really surprise me. And it didn't surprise me to learn that she had little experience with cycling. Ah to be young and impetuous again. I saw a Facebook post of her on a bike with a backpack on. Yikes! I thought. Hope she's not riding with that on her back... I had no memory or understanding on the specifics of her intended journey. I smiled to myself and wished her well. I prayed she'd be in good company.
Fast forward in time. I'm nearly a month into my own journey. Somewhere in eastern Montana. On July 15th, I see a Facebook post about Laura Stark and Anne being struck by a car in Idaho Falls. It was a go fund me account for Ms. Stark. Anne was spoken of in past tense. My heart sunk. After doing a Google search I learned what happened.
Early Wednesday evening July 13, 2016, Anne and Laura were at the end of a 79 mile day when a 33 year old woman struck them from behind as they entered Idaho (Falls) from Wyoming. Despite quick medical assistance, Anne didn't make it. Laura is still in the hospital in Idaho facing a long recovery. My heart goes out to Laura and both families and their friends.
I am touched by this tragic turn of events while I was on the ride, but there was absolutely nothing I could do. Zip. I did know this. I could say nothing to my family and friends. I couldn't offer my condolences on social media as it would increase worries from my family, especially my mom.
Part 2.
Here it is August 3, 2017. It's been over a year since I finished the Northern Tier. I look back on the experience with great fondness. Almost surreal. Definitely a strong sense of accomplishment.
I still bike a lot. Did a 500 mile bike tour around eastern NC in June with my wife, Pam, Tom B and Gay. Gay had knee replacement last winter. Doing great. Not perfect but great. He did RAGBRAI last week with Denise. Tom is a local VA friend. Funny guy. He's pretty remarkable too. He's half the man he used to be. Just 4 years ago he weighed 420 lbs! Now, 205. Wow. Just wow. No surgery. Just diet and exercise. I had an emergency appendectomy in late April so I hadn't done a lot to get in shape for the tour, but I figured it would be fine because it was F L A T!  We all did great.
Back to Anne Davis. The woman that killed her and put Laura, her riding buddy in a wheelchair for life, pleaded guilty a year later to vehicular manslaughter and failure to maintain vehicle insurance. One year in jail with all but 60 days suspended. 3 year license revocation & 5 year restriction and a $500 fine. Patricia Breyer had previous convictions including no insurance and leaving scene. I hope there is a special place in hell for such irresponsible people. This event has touched my heart on so many levels. A sweet young woman undertaking an experience of a lifetime had her life ripped away by a ... I don't even have words to describe her.
Anne was The treasured daughter of a Methodist minister. Recent college grad. Former student of mine. (A picture of my rock climbing class that includes Anne complete with everyone's note still sits on my home desk.) Sigh. Rest In Peace, Anne.
Now for the rest of us, be careful out there. Driving and cycling.
With that set back as the exception, what a great adventure it was bicycling across the USA. I highly recommend it. Prepare yourself. Physically. Mentally. Equipment wise. Spirituality. Yeah, I'm the praying type. Know thyself and thy gear. Have spare nuts and bolts. Tools. And back up plans. Tell your family not to worry and that you love them very much.
Ride on and Godspeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment