Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 10 Drama


We left Old Forge at 6:30 after coffee and bagels. An unusually casual twist to the forward moving routine. Usually, we catch some food and coffee at the first stop. As I've mentioned before, that may not happen quickly into the ride.
The day we planned, was to take us to 55 miles or 79 miles, depending on the terrain, weather or how we were feeling along the way. 79 seemed realistic if the terrain cooperated. That means if it wasn't very hilly. Hills can suck the life out of you after a while. If you've read this blog so far, I'm sure I've made that point crystal clear. After 9 days of climbing, we are hopeful for some relief.
At 35 miles I was begging to get off the saddle for a while. I was in a grumpy mood since the turn to Raquette Lake was missed. Sometimes we don't get enough time to smell the flowers. The quality of the road and flatter terrain made it easier to focus on riding and less on being annoyed. Raquette Lake is a pretty cool little village on the lake a park. That vicinity is where Randy Drake takes his Winter Camping class over Spring Break. Break time usually elevates the mood.

We were making good time. Riding was good. Around 60 miles into the ride we had committed to doing the 79 mile destination at Port Ontario. I was in front for a change as we were riding past an abandoned house. I looked back at it when I veered a bit to the right and went off the road. It happens from time to time. Carrying heavy packs and traveling close to the edge isn't a good mix. Trucks barrel down the road from time to time so we try not to tango with them and give them their road space.

Sand. It's evil stuff. It gets into everything. Your shoes. Shorts. Gear. When it's piled up at any depth, it becomes a conspiracy. That's what I found waiting for me on the side of the road. F$&@#£€g sand. Not easy riding dirt or gravel. Sand. Unrecoverable, unstable sand. I spilled over into the road. No traffic, thank the Almighy. Before I knew it, Gay was there picking the bike off me. Remember it was laden with gear.

Helmets are good. Shoulda been wearing wrist and elbow guards, too. Minor road rash on my right elbow. The wrist didn't become an issue until later. Even though I only tagged the back of my helmet ever so slightly, it's time for a new brain bucket! Now, my bike. That's another story.

The front wheel took a beating. Everything else was fine. The rim sports a new double camber. What that means is it's bent to hell. If you're a Facebook friend, you can see the short video of it. Gay broke out his spoke wrench and tried to help straighten it. Beyond hope. I put the wheel, such as it was, back on the bike to see if it could somehow be used. Well, the wheel is still round and with disc brakes, the brakes were in working order!  Just try not to look at it rolling. Would it really work? Would it hold up?  Only one way to find out. Roll with it. Out in the middle of nowhere, options were limited.
19 miles later we reached a motel in Port Ontario. Lick and assess my wounds and wounded pride. You see, I think, er thought, I was a pretty good bike handler. Hmmm. This does NOT boost the confidence level.
Tomorrow, we find a bike shop. Absolutely! Doctor? Nah.

79 miles today.
586 miles into the route. That's 58.6 miles per day average. The target is 60 so far, we're good.

No comments:

Post a Comment