Monday, June 15, 2015

day 4 & 5 kancamagus and some

Day 4 covered 55 hilly miles. We escaped Maine for the wilds of New Hampshire. Lots of roads and places with "hill" in it. We had intended on ending the day by climbing the road that goes through the Kancamagus Pass but we came to our senses as we approached a campground on the approach. We had considered the next campground up the road but wasn't sure about water. Some places are pretty primitive. It turned out to be a good choice, even though it was for a different reason. There was a little swimming hole nearby! There were no showers at the camp so it was a welcome feature.

The camp was ok, and with a Golden Eagle Pass the site only cost $11! The campground host was helpful and friendly. The water was spring fed. Pit toilets clean and order free. The little hanging spruce tree air freshener was a good addition.
We each cooked one pot meals of some sort. I had rice and broccoli with a small tin of chicken added. I have a spice set to add some flavor. We each eat huge helpings, literally a small pot full. Fred calls a pot a "billy". When we eat, it's no holds barred for me. I try to eat pretty well and lots of it. No worries. I burn off what I eat. And some. Easily.

Day five starts for me at a leisurely 5:30. Fred and Gay have been up for a while. They rise with the sun. Ugh. I push on or get left. They consistently wait for me to finish packing each morning. No cross words yet. I'm just meticulous and, ok, sluggish before I've had my coffee and bagel. We get something to eat at the first stop, which happens to be 3+ hours away on day 5 because we have to climb up Kancamagus Pass. I stuffed a Cliff bar (energy bar) in my face so I wouldn't collapse in a ditch along the way. I keep several of them on reserve in my food bag. Experience is a powerful teacher.

Camp location gave us a start on the climb, but it was still 16.5 miles to the pass itself. The first 12 miles or so wasn't bad at all. The last few were more demanding. Ok. Grueling. We were up to the pass by 9:30! Not much traffic and still relatively cool for climbing. When we reached the pass, we stopped for pictures and to put some wind shells for the 14 mile descent. Yahoo!! The descent almost makes the climb worth it. Almost.
Uh oh. The next climb was one Sandy Doyle warned me about. She and Bill had done it year before last. Jiminie Crickets. She was right. I think the whole climb was about 5 miles. The last 3 took over an hour.  It doesn't even have a name for crying out loud! Peddling  my bike. Uphill. Carrying all my stuff. This is a point where I question my choice of endeavors. How can I lighten my load? What the hell was I thinking biking for 6 weeks across country?  Can I lose some more weight before the next big climb? Sigh. Think about something else and peddle. I have over 5 weeks left.  Ah, the summit. Thought it would never get here. As We pause to dress for the windy descent, a big ass truck crawls it's way up the same slope, sees us and gives us a friendly, knowing blast of his horn. He appreciates our little victory, too. Zoom. Down we go. Damn that's fun.

We still had plenty of climbing left to the day, but nothing like that. Thank God. 69 miles from the start we finished our day at a campground in Orford, NH. That's right across the river from Fairlee, VT. The proprietor was very kind to us. $15 and it included showers! She said rain was in the forecast so she suggested we pitch our tents under the pavilion. Sweet! We had shelter for our shelters. After setting camp, we ventured out to do laundry. A Greek restaurant was conveniently next door. Mmmm

On a sad note. I learned that an old, not so old friend of mine died. Steve Rabogliatti. His x was one of Pam's bridesmaids if that tells you anything. We have stayed in touch over the years. He took me skeet shooting a few months ago. He kindly suggested that lessons would be helpful. He was very good. Whenever we had drinks, we always, I mean always said, "Ching, Ching, mf." So at dinner that night I had a toast in his honor. RIP, Bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment