Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 16 July 5 Layers and Tears


Campground west of East Glacier

What in the hell was I thinking. I didn't bring any rain pants to ride in cause they are just to dang hot to wear while riding. So the only other logical choice would be some lightweight tights. Compression tights actually. Pam gave them to me last year. They are really nice black ones with cool designs. I was going to lay Pam take them home with her. Until this morning. The temperature was near 40! It was a bit warmer when we started riding but not much.
Sandy said she was thrilled to pull the sleeping bag hood over her entire head. Pam slept in her down jacket. I slipped inside my liner bag. It adds warmth and comfort but is a pain in the behind to reenter if you go out to go...
We said our goodbyes to John and Bess trading numbers and hugs. We have new fast friends to visit across the continent. They had on winter jackets. We had layers. I had 2 long sleeved shirts and a wind shell vest. Glove liners under my cycling gloves. And riding shorts. We wore shorts. Silly I know but we warm up quickly.
We were headed towards West Glacier by back roads. A little up and down for a while. Then at about the 18 mile point, it was time.
Gay was turning right. Pam was turning around. Bill, Sandy and yours truly were going straight. This was goodbye. For now. Gay was heading towards Missoula to do who knows what then eventually take the Transamerica Route back to the Beach. We anticipate seeing him in mid September. Pam was turning around and heading back to Whitefish. She has to take her bike to a shop to package up and ship back home. It'll be waiting for me to put back together when I get there. The Three Stooges, or is it Musketeers, head east.
We all said our goodbyes and hugs and kisses. Pam gave Bill and Sandy tips on how to keep me in control. I swear I thought I saw a taser.
I'm gonna miss that girl. A lot. Already do. We had a lot of good times on this little journey. We look forward to more in the future. You can bet on that.

With a quivering lip we departed.

While saying so long isn't fun, it really means the end of one chapter and the beginning of the next. And so it goes. Onward. Sniff.
Today's destination is between West Glacier and Essex. WG is the gateway to The Going to the Sun road. As I mentioned in an earlier post. Been there. Done that. We are taking the alternate route. It's kinda scenic. Kinda busy thoroughfare. Not everyone wants to climb the big roads in their vehicles. Shoulders were occasional but generous and welcomed. The climbs were grinds. The downhills were never long enough. Oh well. They rarely are.
We reached our first potential campground at 46 miles. An odd little place. A pub/office/restaurant stuck in front of a RV park. A couple of semi rustic cabins tossed in for effect. Camping was cheap enough. $24 except there were no showers for tenters. Not good. We knew there was another campground 4 miles down the road. We'll take our chances.

As we mounted our trusty steeds, something didn't feel quite right. Rats! Double Rats! I got a flat... Bill and Sandy were just up ahead. They soon returned when I started taking my packs off. It was the back wheel. We worked as a team. Although this was the first flat of the trip, we all knew what to do. We were on our way in a jiffy. Four miles later we pulled into a nice RV park with good tent sites and showers. Bonus: Good restaurant in walking distance.
Tomorrow will be a short day. About 37 miles. East Glacier, MT  It was recommended that we not stay in Browning. An Indian reservation. There had been reported problems. Makes me sad because of my deep respect for Native Americans. But, Better safe...
Thanks for following.
Cheers!
KPW

July 5
50.3 miles
10.9 avg
33.2 max

No comments:

Post a Comment