Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Day 24 Crosswinds

Yesterday was such a breeze.  We clicked off 50 miles in a flash. I knew today would be different. The winds were still blowing out of the west. Not as hard as yesterday but still quite breezy. After several days of great conditions I certainly can't complain. That would be greedy, I suppose.
Today the route turned south for 54 miles. The winds come off our right side. All day. Since we ride on the right side of the road at least we don't have to worry about being blown off the shoulder. Riding a straight line is a pipe dream. It doesn't happen in these conditions. You have to do the best you can. At any speed. (Fast is easier to make the bike go straight.). Even try to anticipate the push of the gusts. Hang on tight to the handlebars. Pay attention to the road. All day long. What scenery?

Gravity is your best friend and your worst enemy. Going uphill you fight gravity. Going down it's your best friend. Unless the wind is having its way with you. In that case you peddle uphill AND downhill. It's just a little frustrating. So it goes. I just have to be thrilled that it's only a sidewind and not a headwind!!
On top of the wind, today featured rolling hills. Nonstop. The hills were never steep either up or down. They felt like long grinds. Frankly, I wasn't in the mood for exerted myself so I just took my time and settled into a comfortable pace. Bill on the other hand was like the energizer bunny! He would be hanging back practically out of sight then next thing I know he's on my wheel getting ready to blow by. Sandy would be hanging back just a little ways taking in the scenery. I have to hand it to her. She is very observant. Notices stuff that might otherwise totally escape my consciousness. Color hues. Odd trees and the like.
As it turns out this stretch of highway was void of places to stop for a tall cold drink, much less a place to stop and sit in the shade. Trees shade? Another pipe dream. No trees you see. Best option is a paved driveway (not many of these!) or some odd pull off area just to get off the road. We either stand or sit Indian style on the pavement and eat and drink. The roadside grass isn't so inviting.

Finally the last few miles the road turns making the winds finally play in our favor. The climb is less arduous and the downhill is more joyous. We reach Circle, MT.

Wolf Point was a pretty cool town. Circle. Not so much. The one RV Park, is a dump by all metrics. The only operating motel is a flea bag hotel. Not my description but Gay's. He stayed there last year when he decided the campground was below par. I did find a few businesses that were appealing and inviting. I had dinner at the Wooden Nickel. A family cafe.c
Today - 54 miles
10.9 mph avg
5 long hours in the saddle (similar distance yesterday was 2 & 3/4 hours.
25.7 mph max
Tomorrow we aim first for Glendive, MT.
Thanks for following along on my journey.
 I miss my family and very much look forward to being with them in the not too distant future. xoxoxo
Cheers!
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment