Thursday, July 21, 2016

Day 32 FARGO!

Last night we tried unsuccessfully to get a motel room. The campsite was ok. Problem: No showers. Another problem: Hot and humid with no breeze. Where's the wind when you need it?? Sigh. The tent felt more like an oven set to bake. Finally I bailed out of my pool of sweat and set up a temp camp on top of a picnic table. Yep that's right. I laid there on my pad waiting for the sun to fully set and the temp begin to drop. At 10 pm the conditions were now suitable to head back to the tent. I slept on top of my sleeping bag until sometime late in the night. Morning came too soon.
We headed out at 6:45 after breaking camp. We went to the convenience store to grab a suitable breakfast. The first stop was 29 miles out. As it turned out, it was a breeze. The road was flat and the wind was behind us as it was most of the day.
Today we would have to pay attention to the route. There would be numerous turns. The map is good but only if you follow carefully. The ride was fairly uneventful. Only a 10 mile stretch of construction that made for interesting riding. As I said, it was very flat. Just like I like it.
Fargo! One destination I was really looking forward to reaching. It borders Minnesota and has a really great bike shop. We found ourselves in downtown Fargo. A pretty cool area. Mix of  old and new, not unlike Norfolk's Ghent. We head to the bike shop. Lived up to expectations. Best I've seen. Sorry any bike shop owners that are reading this. Sandy got a new back tire and a chain. They got right on it and did it quickly. Bill and I picked up a few trinkets.
Afterwards we got lunch and found a room. With air conditioning! Ahh! We walked to dinner in the downtown area 1/2 mile away. We needed the exercise. Dinner at the Toasted Frog was very good. On the walk back, I found a $20 bill folded in 1/2 on the sidewalk. Bonus!
Tomorrow- Haven't got that nailed down yet. But, Minnesota!!
Today - 59 miles
4:25 in the saddle
13.2 mph avg (speeds drops a lot just putting around town)
24.5 max (told you it was flat)
Thanks for reading
Cheers!
Kim



1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth Porter SullivanJuly 22, 2016 at 5:29 AM

    Finding a $20 bill is a GOOD omen!

    ReplyDelete