Saturday, July 23, 2016

Day 34 Itaska - Headwaters of the Mississippi River!

We departed Tamarack by 7:15 although this will likely be our shortest riding day so far. A big storm is forecast for the early afternoon so by arriving at Itaska State Park earlier we would avoid riding in foul weather. Smart huh!?
The ride is going swimmingly except for the ups that preceded the downs. Sure feels like a lot of work first thing in the morning. Within a few miles the hills relented for a while. The road was now flat with a slight cooling breeze in our faces. Felt good to me. It was shaping up to be a nice ride.
We had departed Tamarack before the camp store had opened. The good news is a convenience store was indicated to be 3 miles down the road according to the map. Yep. Sure enough. It was there! But not a soul to be found about the place. That's ok. I learned not to rely on these out of the way stores. 15 miles or so Two Inlets was a another store in the town by the same name. I could taste the coffee as we neared. Sure enough. It was open and Java was being served. We even took time for 2 cups. Ahh.
The rest of the short ride into Itaska was uneventful. We took the south entrance. This downhill scenic ride led us to the main entrance. We waited in a line of cars to enter and maybe pay a fee. Soon a ranger rode up beside us and gave us the good news that we could just ride on in like we owned the place. (My words not his) The visitor center was almost majestic. Big and beautiful. And busy. We checked out the displays and got the lay of the land. We had plenty of time to kill as our lodging didn't open til 5 and it was 11:30.
We rode a nice bike path to the Headwaters of the Mississippi. That's what this place is all about. We rode the 5 miles first to the headwaters. Lots of people there. Took my shoes off and splashed about trying not to fall and bust an ankle or something dumb this close to me end of my journey. Before we left Bill, Sandy and I got together for a picture on a log over the headwaters stream. Sandy posted it on Facebook. Nice pic.
We went to lunch then killed a couple of more hours. It rained a bit but not much. I decided we lead a charmed life as there were big ugly looking storms in front and behind us. Whew. The park was closed last week for storm clean up. Lots of downed trees everywhere. Charmed I say. Charmed.
We're staying at an AYH Hostel Mississippi Headwaters. Busy place. Communal living style. Children of the earth mostly. A lot of families here with young kids this time. Nice atmosphere. Interesting conversations. A lot of cyclists stay here. Cooked pasta and broccoli with chicken. Been carrying this with me since Washington state as an emergency meal. Time to stop giving it a free trip across this great land!
Wifi ok. Cell service is poor. Can't get or make a call. I got a message that Pam left a voicemail but I couldn't retrieve it. Go figure.
Tomorrow-Bemidji. This is where I ended my journey last year. When I reach the Paul Bunyon  and Blue Babe collassal figures, that will mark the end of my transcontinental journey. I can't stop there cause I couldn't find a rental car one way home so I have another day's ride south to Brainerd. Bill and Sandy will be with me as they are going to keep riding east to Michigan. They're headed to family camp. Their daughter, Brittany, will join them at camp and give them a ride home in late August.
Today
3:40 riding time
42.75 miles
11.6 mph avg
26.7 avg
Thanks for following.
I'm not done yet by any means.
Cheers!
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment