Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Day 23 Blowing in the Wind

We left Glasgow a little after 8. With this wind I figured we'd reach our destination in time for brunch. All day long the wind would be howling. Out of the west again. It's been a great run of favorable winds. Today would is shaping up to be the best yet.
The forecast is "lake effect winds" of 25 mph winds out of the west with gusts around 32. Funny thing is I'm having a hard time finding any sizable lake that might have such a huge influence on the weather over such a vast area! Living by the Atlantic Ocean I guess I just don't get it.
We were going to be breezing by a few small towns. Nashua. Frazer. Oswego. None of them had a store or place to stop for a cold drink. It's ok though cause we never really worked up much of a thirst.
It was common for us to be riding side by side. Chatting. Doing 25. Loving every second of it. Days like this can make me REALLY Love biking. A few times I looked down at my cyclometer and it said I was doing 19. I was trying to figure out why I was going so slow. I looked around and noticed we were going uphill! That explains it...
Not a lot to say different about this day's ride. It was ... Splendid. Awesome. Fantastic. Really really fun. Pick one.
We blew into Wolf Point by 11. We looked at tenting at an RV park. We decided that there was not nearly enough protection from the wind for bearable living conditions. The wind isn't so bad when you are going with it but standing around getting beaten up by it for hours is quite another matter. We opted for a motel. Again. Turns out this motel is quite spacious.
With our few spontaneous stops we rode the 50 miles in 2:46 or about 17.5 mph. That's my best estimate cause I failed to reset my cyclometer this morning with my not so nimble fingers. Dang those buttons are little and hard to get to. Max 37.6 mph
Tomorrow- Circle, MT is the plan. This means 2 things. 1) We make a turn off Route 2 and head south and 2) The wind also needs to change direction to continue the trend of glowing us along our way.
Thank you so very much for reading.
Cheers!
Kim


2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Porter SullivanJuly 12, 2016 at 5:07 PM

    Outstanding day,huh? These are the days for which biking is made,right? All is well here--but not THAT good ! All love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth Porter SullivanJuly 13, 2016 at 6:01 PM

    It's fun following your blog then checking out your location on the wonderfully high-lighted map. Bob and I have a quietly competitive race to see who can spot you first. Today seems an especially good one-- a so-so one for us. The AC went on the blink--but a hero-neighbor rode up on his horse
    and did the hero-thing--fixed it in about ten minutes. All in whom you know,right ???? Love and cheers!

    ReplyDelete