Saturday, July 9, 2016

Day 20 Hingham High

Last night I moseyed over to the convenience store in front of the motel. It also doubles as the motel office. I went there for 2 reasons. 1. To buy a single beer. I just wanted to sip on a tall cool one and watch some TV.  TV hasn't been on my agenda since I left home. And 2. There are a pair of identical blonde twins that work at that fit the store. They might be 18 or so. Bill and I both noticed that they responded in unison when we spoke to them. I had to find out if everything they said went so.
I found a tall Busch beer that fit the bill perfectly. 24 ounces that can satisfy my thirst at this moment like only a beer can do. I went to pay and the twins paired up at the register. One tang it up and the other said "$2.29". As I often do to make sure I heard it right I said "$2.49?" "No. $2.29 they replied as one. Hmmm I smiled.
What time do you open in the morning? Only one responded. 6. I asked about coffee. Again only one responded. So, the experiment ended. Results were mixed. I think they have stock answers that they may use and try to have a little fun in their little corner of the world in what I know as Chester. 
On the way back to my room I noticed that next to my room was the headquarters for the Chester Chamber of Commerce! Go figure. In the middle of the motel rooms.  
In the morning we bid adieu to Chester. We were all anticipating pretty flat and fast roads with westerly winds of 15 to 25 predicted. Well it didn't start out that way. To the eye everything looked great, but no wind yet. That's OK it'll come in due time. The problem was that we were only riding a pedantic pace of 9-10 mph. Maybe we wer just not warmed up yet. Nah that's not it. It was hard. To darn hard and it kept going and going... Ok. It had to be an upgrade. Just pedal. So it went. Finally, after an eternity, the conditions turned to our favor. Downhill and flat with the wind at our backs!
Fortunately, this was how the rest of the day largely unfolded. Until we got to Hingham anyway. Don't get too excited. Sandy just had a slow leak in her front tire. This is what passes for excitement on terrain like this. We were able to stop at a bar, open at 9, and get coffee and refreshments while Sandy changed the tire (tube). My bad joke with the town name was to refer to a Clint Eastwood flick, I called it Hingham High. 
We were on our way. Next stop: The Kremlin, American style. It was a depressing, largely vacant little village without the store that was promised. Oh well. We stopped anyway and dug out our reserve food and had lunch. At 11:00. Next stop- Havre. 
The last 19 miles went swimmingly. We did have to crawl up the only hill in town to find the fairgrounds camping. It was a bit confusing as no attendant was around. We finally got that figured out with self registration. $10 for everything! Showers and bathrooms included. 
Tomorrow we set our sights long on Malta to dodge some rainy weather. 
Today 
35.5 max mph 
4 hours in the saddle 
56.5 miles 
13.5 avg
Thanks for following 
Cheers!
KPW 

No comments:

Post a Comment